Skip to main content

11 Interview Questions And Answers 2019 In Healthcare

You’ve probably already read the articles about the top interview questions for nursing job seekers and the 7 things you should do in an interview, but do you know what you shouldn’t do?

Sure, you know you shouldn’t where your shortest mini skirt, your oldest shoes or that “I’m with Stupid” t-shirt you thought was so funny 15 years ago, but did you know that the worst interview mistakes are often the least obvious? Interview deal-breakers are usually subtle and frequently overlooked by the job-seeker. Your answers to interview questions are obviously the most important element to the interview, and that’s why it’s important that you know what to say and what not to say.

You can prepare all you want by learning the right answers, but do you know how to avoid the wrong ones?


Many job-seekers don’t expect to hear this question until the second interview or they have a job offer in hand, but many employers having started to ask it as a way to week out potential employees who have unrealistic expectations. The key here is to do your research. Know what others in the field, with similar education and experience, are making. Know what you have to make to survive, but wait to haggle until you have an actual offer.

Bad Answer: I want to make as much as possible. An impressive salary is the reason you get into health care, right? I won’t settle for less than twice as much as I make now. And trust me, I’m worth it.

Better Answer: I would like to make roughly $50,000 annually, which is slightly more than I currently make. But, of course, the more the better!

Best Answer: I would like to make $45,000 – $50,000 annually. I believe that my five years of experience in the field plus the additional health care certifications I earned last year add to my value as an employee. However, I got into health care to make a difference, and salary is secondary to working at a job I love.

What is Your Greatest Weakness?


This is a classic trick job interview question. Do you try to turn a weakness into a strength? Do you claim to have no weaknesses? The key here is to be honest, but not too honest. Use specific examples to show how you have overcome a weakness during a challenging time to show that while you may not be perfect, you have the skills to get the job done.

Bad Answer: I really can’t think of any…


Better Answer: I can be stubborn, but that just means I want to get things done and get them done right!

Best Answer: During my first month at my current job, I had a tendency to be relatively shy and not speak up for myself. One day, I was blamed for losing a patient’s chart. Instead of taking the blame, I spoke to the DON and showed her how I was at work that day and the patient was discharged before I was on call. Even though I was nervous, I knew I was not to blame and wanted the truth to be known. Since then, I have been much better about speaking my mind.


Interviewers want to hear specific examples, so they will often ask for them. Be prepared with concrete illustrations that paint you in the best light possible. Don’t make something up, as it is possible your potential employer will verify your story with your past employer.

Bad Answer: Oh, I always get along with everyone! I’ve never met a person I didn’t like.

Better Answer: I once worked with a doctor who developed very different treatments plans that I would. We often argued about what what best for a patient, and I usually let her have her way because it’s easier to concede than to fight.

Best Answer: I used to lock heads with a fellow nurse in the INCU ward. We disagreed over many things – from the care of patients to who got what shifts to how to speak with a child’s family. Our personalities did not mesh. After three months of arguing, I pulled her aside and asked her to lunch. At lunch, we talked about our differences and why we did not get along. It turns out, it was all about communication. We communicated differently and once we knew that, we began to work well together. I believe that talking a problem through with someone will help solve the issue.


Don’t confuse this question with “Why are you leaving your current job?” They are very different questions although your answers may sound similar. Despite what you may think, this is not the time to butter-up an interviewer too much. Express interest in areas that really matter to you. If you were impressed with a hospitals research into juvenile diabetes, say so, but make sure it’s not the only thing you have to say. Do your research first so you can show your desire for the position.

Bad Answer: I really want to work for a prestigious health system and I’ve always admired your work. Plus, I am ready to move on from my current job.

Better Answer: I’ve always looked up to Dr. Smith for his research on breast cancer. I like the atmosphere of the hospital as well as the chances to advance my nursing career.

Best Answer: During school, my favorite professor was also a nurse practitioner here, which is how I came to know and admire the facility. I learned of your recent philanthropic endeavors and was very impressed by your efforts to reach out to the community as a whole. As a nurse, I have a desire to care for all patients regardless of ability to pay and I admire that your clinic never refuses to serve anyone.


Here’s a question you need to be very prepared to answer. And your answer better be flawless. Employers want to know you’re ambitious, but not so ambitious that you’ll leave in 6 months to pursue an advanced degree in English Literature or study naturopathic medicine in the jungles of Thailand. Hiring a new employee is a big investment, and an interview wants to know they are investing their time and money wisely.



Bad Answer: I’m biding my time now as an LPN while I save up to go back to school and become a physician assistant.

Better Answer: In 10 years, I see myself as a nurse practitioner. I would like to attend school at night and on weekends while I work. I enjoy working in med-surg right now, but I would like to end up in pediatrics eventually.

Best Answer: I imagine that I will continue my work as a radiologic technologist for at least five more years. I love the field of radiology and would like to move up in the field either through expanding my education or  gaining on-the-job experience. I would like to challenge myself by taking a leadership role, perhaps the head of a department, one day while still maintaining a clinical role working with patients


Many job-seekers dread this important question. You want to show your interest in a new job, but you don’t want to bad-mouth your current (or former) employer. What’s a job-seeker to do?! Be very careful when answering this question as your interviewer will want to hear that you are interested in a new job for the long run.

Bad Answer: I didn’t get along with my boss or co-workers or the patients.

Better Answer: I started to feel restless and bored at work. I felt ready for a change of pace and a new environment.

Best Answer: I had progressed through the ranks at my current job and I’m looking for a new challenge. While I enjoyed my old job, I’ve been there for seven years and was ready to move on.


This question seems simple enough and you would think that an interviewer could answer it simply by looking at your resume and reading your cover letter. However, an interviewer wants to hear it from you. Why do you stand out from everyone else?

Bad Answer: I’m more qualified than the other candidates and I have what it takes to be an asset to this hospital.

Better Answer: I have eight years of experience in radiologic technology performing a number of procedures. I also love my job and enjoy working with patients. I always have great relationships with my colleagues.

Best Answer: I have an advanced degree in health administration as well as five years of experience has the head of the nursing department at John Smith Hospital. I am comfortable as a leader and follower and have served in both positions. In my last job, I developed a patient advocacy program which worked to ease patients’ fears and alleviate stress during procedures. Thus far, over a dozen health care professionals have become volunteer patient advocates.


Interviewers want to know what makes you tick – this includes things you like and dislike. If your favorite part of your last job was charting and you are interviewing for a job in medical records, an interviewer will be thrilled that your interests match the job description. However, if your favorite thing was charting and there is no charting involved in the job you are vying for, an interviewer may be curious as to why you are applying.

Bad Answer: I didn’t enjoy very much of anything in my last position which is why I am looking for a new job.

Better Answer: I really enjoyed working with patients and providing care. I especially liked working with elderly patientsbecause they can teach you so much.

Best Answer: When I was promoted to DON, I was particularly satisfied at work. I felt that I had worked diligently on the med-surg floor for 10 years and the promotion was well-deserved. I also enjoyed the challenge of supervising my fellow nurses, though I always tried to remain a peer rather than an authority figure.


Interviewers want to know what makes you tick – this includes things you like and dislike. If your favorite part of your last job was charting and you are interviewing for a job in medical records, an interviewer will be thrilled that your interests match the job description. However, if your favorite thing was charting and there is no charting involved in the job you are vying for, an interviewer may be curious as to why you are applying.

Bad Answer: I didn’t enjoy very much of anything in my last position which is why I am looking for a new job.

Better Answer: I really enjoyed working with patients and providing care. I especially liked working with elderly patientsbecause they can teach you so much.

Best Answer: When I was promoted to DON, I was particularly satisfied at work. I felt that I had worked diligently on the med-surg floor for 10 years and the promotion was well-deserved. I also enjoyed the challenge of supervising my fellow nurses, though I always tried to remain a peer rather than an authority figure.


Interviewers want to know that you’ve done the research. Not preparing questions is a definite no-no. Think about what is important to you and ask honest questions about it. If you really want to work somewhere where your co-workers feel like family, ask how the work environment is. Interviewers are usually happy to answer questions because they want you to get as much out of the interview as they do.

Bad Answer: Nope. You’ve answered all my questions.

Better Answer: You’ve answered most of my questions, but I was wondering what you like most about working here.

Best Answer: I’m really looking for a job where I feel like a part of a team. What is the work environment like? Do you spend time with your colleagues outside of work? What kind of team-building activities do you participate in?


Interviewers don’t expect you to be perfect. In fact, they want to hear about your flaws… as long as you’ve learned how to overcome them. It’s imperative that you have concrete examples in your answer and that you can show how you’ve grown because of the situation.

Bad Answer: I once missed an important deadline a few years ago. I felt very badly and promised my boss I wouldn’t do it again. I’ve never made a mistake since then.

Better Answer: I once made a crucial error while in a patient’s chart. Luckily, my supervising doctor caught it before anyone got hurt, but I’ve never felt like more of a failure. Since then, I have learned to check and double-check my patient’s charts and even ask a colleague if my charting makes sense and is correct.

Best Answer: While serving as hospital administrator in my last job, I endorsed a bid to take over a neighboring hospital which was floundering. I went through every step meticulously and was sure the deal would go through. However, they other hospital pulled out at the last minute after I has virtually guaranteed my board members that the deal would be settled. For months, I was looked down upon by the board and co-workers. However, I stood by my choice even though it didn’t work out. Because I didn’t back down or shy away from blame, I became a stronger administrator.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Viwango Vya Mshahara Kwa Watumishi Wa Umma Tanzania 2019

In 2014 , the Government implemented new Salary Scales, The Tanzania civil service has a common pay and grading system. This means that all departments and offices have the same approach to grading, with pay levels in respect of each grade determined centrally. TGOS A TGOS A 1. (Sh240,000), TGOS A 2. (Sh245,600), TGOS A 3. (Sh251,200), TGOS A 4. (Sh256,800), TGOS A 5. (Sh262,400), TGOS A 6. (Sh268,000), TGOS A 7.(Sh272,000), TGOS A 8(Sh279,000), TGOS A 9.(Sh284,800), TGOS A 10(Sh290,400), TGOS A 11(Sh296,000), TGOS A 12(Sh301,600), TGOS A 13(Sh 307,200), TGOS A 14(Sh312,800), TGOS A 15(Sh 318,400), TGOS A 16(Sh324,000), TGOS A 17(Sh329,600) na TGOS A 18(Sh335,200). TGOS B TGOS B 1. (Sh347,000), TGOS B 2. (Sh356,500) TGOS B 3 . (Sh366,000), TGOS B 4 . (Sh375,500), TGOS B 5. (Sh385,000), TGOS B 6. (Sh394,500), TGOS B 7. (Sh404,000), TGOS B 8. (Sh413,500), TGOS B 9. (Sh423,000), TGOS B 10. (Sh432,500), TGOS B 11 . (Sh442,000) na TGOS B 12. (Sh451,500)TGOS C TGOS C 1 . (Sh471

Sensa Elimu Msingi TAMISEMI 2020 Login Here

Sensa Elimu Msingi Tamisemi tz go 2020 TSA, TSM, TSS, TWM Get all information about Sensa ElimuMsingi, Login Sensa Elimu Msingi, TSA, TSM, TSS and TWM. SensaElimuMsingi Tamisemi tz go Check Detailed information about TAMISEMI Sensa ElimuMsingi Sign in...!! We have provided essential details regarding Sensa ElimuMsingi, so what are you waiting for? Go ahead as soon as possible and get Sensa ElimuMsingi details. President’s Office – Regional Administration and Local Government (PO-RALG), Sensa Elimu Msingi Tamisemi tz go The role of the Ministry is to coordinate and supervise regional development management and administration. Thus, the ministry coordinates rural and urban development management policy and strategies; coordinates Regional Secretariats activities and builds their capacity in institutional development strategies for integrated socioeconomic development and financial development of Local Government Authorities. The Ministry also coordinates and supervises developme

TAMISEMI Announcing Names Of Employees (Walimu Na Afya) 2021

We know you waited for so long names of TAMISEMI Majina Ya Walimu 2021 and Health sector. TAMISEMI today has announced new names of employees who applied for the job opportunities via ajira.tamisemi.go.tz announced on May 2021 by Minister of TAMISEMI Ummy Mwalimu. President’s Office – Regional Administration and Local Government The role of the Ministry is to coordinate and supervise regional development management and administration. Thus, the ministry coordinates rural and urban development management policy and strategies; coordinates Regional Secretariats activities and builds their capacity in institutional development strategies for integrated socioeconomic development and financial development of Local Government Authorities. [ads id="ads1"] The Ministry also coordinates and supervises development planning and sectoral interventions on donor supported programmes at district and other locals levels; issues ministerial guidelines to Regional Secretariats and Local Govern